Why NYC is hosting a Hackathon #reinventnycgov. 10 reasons from @RachelSterne, Chief Digital Officer for the City of New York:
- It will bridge sectors and connect the government and technology communities around a shared challenge.
- It will encourage collaborative problem-solving and a more open government.
- It will create a mechanism for the public to share feedback and ideas.
- It can serve as a model for other governments, helping to affect national and international change.
- It will introduce creative and innovative concepts that could help to evolve government to be more efficient and effective in serving and empowering citizens.
- It will provide both individuals and teams with face-to-face access to governments decision makers.
- It creates a precedent and platform for evolving government through open innovation and participation.
- It will serve as the first step in a transparent design process.
- It helps remove subjectivity from the design process by clearly showing what the public wants and needs.
- It equips developers with the internal data they need to make user experience decisions.
Via Mashable and Open NASA